If you suffer from an embarrassing yeast infection... give tea tree oil a try.
Common symptoms of a yeast infection
Yeast infections will typically cause the following symptoms:-
- soreness in the vagina
- itchiness in the vagina
- swelling of the vulva
- pain or burning during urination or sex
- thick, clumpy, white discharge (similar to cottage cheese)
Symptoms of a yeast infection are more likely to occur the week before your menstrual period.
The benefits of tea tree oil
Tea tree essential oil is an all-natural alternative treatment for vaginal yeast infections as opposed to medications prescribed by your doctor or pharmacist. Tea tree oil has antiseptic, antibacterial and antifungal properties, making it the ideal oil to help cure embarrassing yeast infections.
Using tea tree oil to treat a yeast infection
You can try one of the methods below for at-home treatment, but we always recommend if you have a serious problem with a yeast infection - seek medical advice first.
Yeast infection home remedy
The most popular method to treat a yeast infection at home is the douching method. Here’s how you do it:-
- Mix 1 drop of tea tree oil and 1 drop of lavender oil with 1 teaspoon of cider vinegar.
- Allow the essential oils to dissolve in the vinegar - this usually takes 3-5 minutes.
- Pour the mixture into 2 cups of warm water.
- Pour the liquid into a douche bag
- Shake the contents and perform the douche according to the directions that came with the bag.
Sitz bath method
Another method is the sitz bath, where you soak in a tub to help relieve painful symptoms of yeast infections. Here’s what to do:-
- Fill the bath tub with enough warm water to cover your pelvis.
- Mix 3-4 drops of tea tree essential oil with 1 teaspoon vegetable oil.
- Add the oil into the bath and stir.
- Soak in the bath for at least 15 minutes.
Repeat this process daily until your symptoms subside.
If you notice any discomfort using tea tree oil, discontinue use immediately and rinse the affected area thoroughly.
Tea tree oil can cause an allergic reaction in some people, so it’s a good idea to test a small amount on your skin first to see if you have a reaction. Never ingest tea tree oil as it can cause toxicity.
Other tea tree oil products to help treat yeast infections
You can find tea tree oil vaginal suppositories or a tea tree oil cream at your local health food store or pharmacy. Suppositories can be inserted into the vagina once a day - tea tree oil cream can also be applied to the affected area once a day.
Continue using the suppositories or tea tree oil cream until your symptoms have subsided.